There is nothing worse than going to sleep and hearing a helicopter hovering over your house… wait! It's not a helicopter, it's the downstairs neighbor snoring again.
The snoring are those loud sounds and unpleasant that occur with the throat relaxation and that they can become very annoying, especially for the rest of the inhabitants of the house (and in serious cases, the neighborhood).
What causes them?
The reasons why you snore can be many and very varied. Some most common reasons son:
- There anatomy of the mouth or palate, since if there is a lot of tissue it can narrow the airways, producing more sound when the air passes.
- nasal problems, such as having a deviated nasal septum or frequent congestion.
- not getting enough sleep: by relaxing the throat more when you do manage to sleep, you can end up snoring.
- There sleeping posture: Snoring tends to occur more when sleeping on your back, since gravity causes the airways to narrow.
- Drink alcohol shortly before sleeping, again, for the relaxation of the throat.
- Snoring can be symptom of other diseases of greater or lesser severity, such as obstructive sleep apnea (which is usually closely linked to snoring).
Others risk factor's that increase the chances of snoring are:
- Being a man, since sleep apnea and snoring in general are more common in them.
- Suffer overweight: Overweight people tend to have more tissue on the neck and palate, reducing the passage of air in the airways.
- Having narrow airways.
- Chronic nasal problems.
- Family background of nasal problems, snoring or apnea.
- Being a smoker.
symptoms of snoring
Snoring, in addition to being annoying for companions or other people who sleep in adjoining rooms, can lead to other sleeper problems:
- Pauses in breathing during sleep.
- Headaches frequent.
- Drowsiness or fatigue during the day.
- Gasps or suffocating while sleeping.
- High blood pressure.
- Chest pains.
- Dream insufficient and/or poor quality.
All of these symptoms can be linked to obstructive sleep apnea, which is often the main cause of snoring, although not everyone who snores has this sleep disorder.
Some solutions for snoring
There are no magic tricks that instantly relieve snoring, but there are a number of habits or treatments which can be followed:
- Avoid alcohol before going to sleep.
- Also, avoid smoking before going to sleep, and in general.
- If snoring is linked to being overweight, the weightloss can relieve them.
- When linked to nasal congestion, treat that congestion with the indicated remedies or medicines.
- Try to sleep on the side.
In any case, consult with a doctor if snoring becomes a serious sleep problem for you and/or those around you or if you suspect that it may be obstructive sleep apnea. Your doctor will indicate all possible treatments, devices and surgeries for your case.
With some headphones and the BeZen Audioscape app, rest easy.