When buying a new mattress, many questions always arise: when will I have to change it? How is a mattress properly maintained? Can I make the life of my mattress longer?
The answer to all these questions is found in the acts that are done on a daily basis: the better the mattress is treated, the more its life can be extended, although it is recommended to change it every 8 to 10 years.
Our experts offer you the best tips to keep your mattress in good conditions and your rest too.
What to do from the start
- The life of your mattress begins when it is unpacked. It is extremely important that, if it came vacuum packed and rolled (as BeZen mattresses usually do), unroll it properly and allow it to breathe until it regains its shape. Do not sleep or sit on the mattress until 24 to 48 hours after opening it.
- At the time of buying a bed base you need to make sure the size and materials are correct. Do not choose one that wears the fabrics or the padding materials off and in the case of choosing a wooden bedframe, it is better if it is flexible. The mattress must be aligned with the base, avoid protruding as much as possible.
- Another question that comes up a lot is whether the maintenance of the mattress varies depending on its core. Usually the pocket spring mattresses, HR foam (or viscoelastic) and latex mattresses require the same care. If you do not know what type of mattress to choose according to your needs, we can help you.
Out with dampness and mites
- What must be avoided at all times is leaving mattresses in damp rooms or places, since this favors the appearance of fungi.
- Ventilate the room every day and even better if it is without the sheets on, as this reduces the appearance of mites and favors the air flow of our mattress.
- Wash bedding at least once a week (to avoid the accumulation of mites and/or bacteria) and, if possible, choose light-colored bedding, since it is easier to distinguish if there is any type of dirt on them.
At BeZen, each one of our mattresses has Sanitized® fabrics, which are anti-mite, antifungal, antibacterial and hypoallergenic, in addition to being made with sustainable fabrics free of harmful substances (OEKO-TEX® Certificate).
Protect your mattress and avoid deformities
- You can place a cover or topper on your mattress. These can be machine washed normally and protect the mattress from moisture, dust mite build-up and possible staining. Our Topper Physio is exclusively designed with a waterproof and completely breathable fabric, guaranteeing a correct air flow.
- All our mattresses can be cleaned with a dry or damp cloth, letting it air out afterwards.
- To avoid lumps and deformities, it is highly recommended to turn the mattress from head to toe once a month and flip it over (if it has two useful faces) once every 3 months.
- Avoid standing up or jumping on the mattress, just like sitting on the sides. This reduces its useful life and favors the presence of bulges and sinking.